All the Ugly and Wonderful Things: A Novel - Bryn Greenwood
I am a bit thrown by how good, yet disturbing this read was.
The story concerning Wavy is heartbreaking. There is just no other way to describe it. How she came to be and what she was born into and forced to endure as a result. I have mad respect for this girl. Because no matter what was forced upon her, her heart, reactions, and thoughts remained pure. Untainted somehow, in many respects, in spite of the poison all around her and threatening to grow within her.

God took care of this girl HE really did. As bad as things were for her. All the ugliness, she could have easily turned out a WHOLE LOT WORSE. What she chose to focus on in life and dwell or not dwell on, truly defined the type of person/ woman she eventually would become. Her character. She never failed to show me what was truly important here or her capacity to over come such things and I love that.

Kellen
My goodness. I have no words for this man. He's.... in many ways a truly great man. With a heart filled so deep with such beautiful things, it's hard to hate him when he made certain choices. But I will admit, he had me hating him. Wanting to smack and scream at him. Shuddering (not in a good way) at his emotions or desires at times. I've always had a sense of black or white when it comes to what is wrong. Morally etc.. But this story, these people, are stock full of gray.

I went back and forth so many times on my stance on the relationship between Wavy & Kellen that I made myself dizzy. I'm still not sure how I feel about their journey. But I can't deny that it was heartbreaking, sweet, wrong, yet right, real, and beautiful.
It's simply just the Human Condition. With something as raw as this, I guess you really can't put it in a certain box or corner. You can try, but it will never truly fit in one place or the other.

Maybe I just needed more time with them. I'm not sure, but I'm upset that that's not really what I got in the end. What kept this from being a 5 star read for me, was the fact of how rushed the closing of their story was. Loose ends were tied up neatly, reunions were had. Some shaky, some not. And some that were left with a It's alright for now feel. Or its a work in progress, but we'll get there type of close.

I just feel with all that we witnessed here, that the ending and process leading up to that ending, should be more expressive and detailed and not just summarized and then it's done. That's what the close and ending was for me. A summary.

I guess you could say with all the triggers here within this journey, and the not so stellar way it ended for me, I still really enjoyed this read. I would definitely recommend it to those sitting on the fence about diving in here. It is a great story.

One thing is certain though.. Kellen and Wavy are going to be with me for a very long time.

Happy Reading :)